Monday, December 20, 2010

cravings


People have been asking me since they found out that I'm expecting (not "pregnant"; my mom says that sounds vulgar), if I've been getting any cravings. Oh yeah.


I've never really been that into food. I ate when I was hungry, but never really cared what I ate. I could easily eat cereal for dinner every night and be fine. Being married to a total foodie, we've had many arguments discussions about food and the importance of branching out, savoring flavors, experiencing exotic ingredients and imaginative combinations. Truth be told, I really don't care. I grew up eating a derivative of about ten meals. Some of which included sauer kraut and weenies, macaroni noodles with tomato sauce, and complete meals made with nothing but garden vegetables. My New Orleans husband, not so much. He was eating artichoke hearts and sweet breads at age eight. So, needless to say, we've both had to adjust to the other's food preferences.


But back to the cravings. Oh the cravings. It started out real healthy, like whole jars of organic apple sauce, anything citrus: satsumas, clementines, oranges, grapefruits. But lately, it's taken a turn for the worse. For example, yesterday, I wanted nothing but crock-pot cheese dip. You know, the old Velveeta kind with the Rotel in it. I couldn't think about anything else until it was bubbling away in our kitchen yesterday evening. That's what we ate for dinner, Velveeta cheese dip.

On Friday, we went to one of our favorite party places for fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches. They weren't making them that night. I was so sad. It almost ruined the night. So this morning, after making a late run to the grocery store yesterday for bananas, I put that craving to rest. I chowed down on crispy goodness with peanut butter blobs on both corners of my mouth. It was glorious.

I don't know if I'd call them cravings or slight obsessions, but when I get an idea of a certain food in my head, I CAN NOT let it go. Does that count as a craving?

Hopefully our child will get a little bit of both of our food sense in them. They'll be the only one of their friends who knows what wine you pair with sauer kraut and weenies.



No comments:

Post a Comment